A Look At Philippines Updated Car Window Tinting Law

August 3, 2019

Installing car tints in the Philippines is not prohibited, but the government imposes certain rules to regulate its use. Since 2018, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) has been talking with public and private sectors, consulting them regarding the shades of tint available in the market, the standard shades of tints, as well as the necessity of installing car tints in the Philippines.

The issue is this: It’s difficult for the Philippine National Police (PNP) to enforce laws on road safety if offenders are hiding behind heavily-tinted cars. Dark windows make it almost impossible to apprehend drivers who violate certain laws, specifically the Anti Distracted Driving Act and Seat Belts Use Act. However, the government also acknowledges that car tints in the Philippines are necessary because of the tropical nature of the weather.

So what is the status quo? The law for window tinting is yet to be finalized and passed. Consultations are still ongoing to determine how car tints in the Philippines can be regulated. Tint suppliers in the country recommend a standard visible light transmission (VLT) of 30% for the front side windows and front windshield. Manufacturers of passenger vehicles and trucks, on the other hand, propose 70% VLT. Both parties recommend that rear windows should stay unregulated.

What happens if you are caught using the wrong shade?

It’s not like you can magically replace or remove your car window tint. That’s why if you’re caught, the authorities will give you ample lead time to comply and fix the issue.

Are factory-tinted windows included in the regulation?

Aside from the manufactured car tints, the regulation also covers factory-tinted windshields. Automobile manufacturers need to comply with whatever is going to be authorised as the grade of tints allowable for the cars they produce.

LA Window Viber Number
Request A Free Quote